How to Publish an AR Effect to Instagram (2020 Update)
Instagram AR Effects combine the power of augmented reality with the viral nature of Instagram. They enable your customers to explore your products through the Instagram camera and share their experiences with their followers.
This post covers the step-by-step instructions needed to publish an AR Effect to Instagram. Use this guide to make the most of AR Effects purchased from Switch 3D.
Looking for custom AR Effects for your products? Learn how to order yours today!
Before we get started, let's make sure you have what you need to publish an AR Effect to Instagram. You will need the following:
- AR Effect (.arexport file)
- Icon (.png of your brand icon)
- Demo video (see below for details)
Let's get started!
1) Select "Manage Effects" from the Spark AR Studio website
"Manage Effects" will take you to your Spark AR Hub, where you can publish and manage AR Effects.
2) Log in using the Facebook account linked to your business
3) Select "Publish an Effect" from the bottom left corner
Before clicking, make sure you check that your business page is selected in the drop-down menu below the "Publish an Effect" button. If you don't see your business page in the menu, you either logged in using the wrong Facebook account, or your Facebook account isn't linked to your business page.
4) Name your Effect and upload your .arexport file
An .arexport file is included when you purchase an AR Effect from Switch 3D.
5) Ensure your .arexport file meets size requirements
All AR Effects purchased from Switch 3D are optimized to meet size requirements. If you have any questions or concerns, don't hesitate to contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
6) Select Instagram as your target platform
7) Make sure your Owner and Instagram account settings are correct. Assign your AR managers.
Your Owner and Instagram account settings should be linked to your business Facebook page and Instagram account respectively.
AR managers can publish and manage AR Effects on your behalf. To add AR managers:
- From your Spark AR Hub, go to Settings > Permissions.
- In the Page drop-down menu, select your business.
- Under Permissions Groups, click Add Group.
- Name your group and select AR managers using their Facebook accounts.
8) Categorize your AR Effect
9) Add keywords that describe your AR Effect
Make sure you hit Enter after each keyword.
10) Save your AR Effect
11) Click "Open in App" to capture your demo video
Note: the "Open in App" button will be greyed out if you do not save your AR Effect first.
12) Send a test notification to your phone
The test notification will be sent to the owner of your Instagram business account. If you want someone else to capture the demo video, you can send the test link to them directly.
13) Open the test notification on your phone
14) Select "Continue" to test your AR Effect
15) Capture your demo video
Your demo video will showcase your AR Effect to your Instagram followers. Make sure you capture a demo video that both highlights the features of your product and has a background/scene that aligns with your brand.
16) Save your demo video to your phone
17) Upload your demo video to your Spark AR Hub
To continue the submission process, return to Spark AR Hub and upload the demo video you saved on your phone.
18) Choose a thumbnail for your demo video
19) Upload an icon for your AR Effect
Feel free to create a custom icon to represent your AR Effect on Instagram. Otherwise, you can simply use a .png of your brand icon.
20) Crop your icon and confirm
21) Choose a publication date
Choosing a publication date allows you to decide when your AR Effect becomes visible on your Instagram account. In most cases, "As soon as possible" is the ideal choice, however you may want to delay publication to align with a marketing campaign or your content calendar. You have to option to set a Start Date as well as an End Date.
Note: once you submit, your AR Effect needs to be reviewed and accepted. Choosing a publication date will not impact when your AR Effect is reviewed.
22) Explain to your reviewer how your AR Effect works
Your reviewer needs to know what your AR Effect does and how to use it.
AR Effects purchased from Switch 3D place your product in the real world so your Instagram followers can explore its details using their camera. To use these AR Effects, followers simply need to tap their screen to place your product on a flat surface.
23) Review and submit
24) Wait for your AR Effect to be reviewed
25) Periodically check Instagram for your new Effects tab
26) Find your published AR Effect 🎉
Congratulations! At this stage, you should have an AR Effect published to your Instagram account.
Your Instagram followers will now be able to discover your AR Effect by visiting your profile and checking out your Effects tab. They'll also be able to find your AR Effect directly from their Instagram camera.
If you use your AR Effect as part of an Instagram Story or Reel, viewers will be able to access your AR Effect directly from your Story or Reel. Learn more about where AR Effects appear in Instagram.